I always have been fascinated by photography.
But with the introduction of the digital camera it all became too easy, too predictable …to me.
So I forced myself to go back to the roots of real analog photography.
Not just by making the photograph itself, but by controlling the entire photographic process.

This brought me back to the middle of the 19th century, to the amazing Collodion wet plate process.
And every single day I feel challenged to refine and improve myself.


For my website please visit : www.alextimmermans.com

Alex Timmermans
Holland


"You don't take a picture, it's given to you"

zaterdag 21 juli 2012

The first use of my new mobile darkroom



This morning we finally had some stable weather. Not much sun, but at least no rain....
So we, my friend Ferry and me, headed to "Heeze castle" which is situated in a beautiful environment.
There is a little river at the back of the castle which is surrounded by beautiful large Beeches and ferns. Very nice diffuse light.
But on the other hand extremely long exposure times up to 22 minutes !!!.
Never had exposure times that long before.
Tried some different (wide angle) lenses but i still prefer shooting with petzvals.
I just love the shallow dof. Also for landscapes

This one is a 18 x 18cm alutype.
Exposure time 12 secs.
Hermagis petzval aprox 12 inch f4



The working table is even bigger than the tent itself.


The tent is awsome. Within just one minute it's fully operational




Ferry finally had the opportunity to pour his first wet plate. He's talened! 





7 opmerkingen:

  1. The tent looks great! I've seen it being used before and seems a better option than my current tent. Does it have a bottom sort of cloth or are you standing on the floor of whatever your tent is on?
    Do the zippers work from the inside?

    It seems like a good replacement for my tent.

    -Indra

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Nice tent! It looks like a better option than my current one. Does it have a bottom? Do the zippers work from the inside?

    Thanks!

    -Indra

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Hey Alex...a question for you....how did you deal with the light through the zip? I reckon I can deal with the rest though my demo version of the Eskimo will take a lots more than half an hour to seal!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Kal,

    I must be honest. I haven't used it yet in the full sunn. I try to use in the sahde ( of some trees)
    Yes the zippers have pinholes to, but untill now that hasn't been of any problem.
    I had the idea of covering the doors with some extra fabric hanging in front of it.
    You could attach them with magnets so you can take it off very easy again.
    But again, untill now no problems at all.

    Alex

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Thanks Alex...I thought of the extra material approach too...I have some blackout material left from my darkbox cloth and thought to use that..I like the idea of using sticky magnets...good to know there is limited impact in the shade...anyway in the sun it is like being in an oven! I have some red material which is used for star gazing..I believe it shoudl be cutting out all the blue and UV light...I will tape it and test it first before doing any sewing ;-)) thanks for your speedy help...loving your work as always and look worward to your article...K PS that tent is so easy to put up and take down INCREDIBLE!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen